Sand which Sponge cake, of the traditional British kind...
This recipe is oh so easy... and not too heavy for those hot summer days coming our way. This cake is perfect for a picnic or bbq... or perhaps afternoon tea...
150 g of self raising flour
150 g of margarine
150 g of castor sugar
and something to put in the middle... jam, custard, pudding... whatever you fancy, I suppose
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C, 350°F then mix the sugar and margarine together until creamy.
- Beat the eggs then add one at a time, stirring until it is runny.
- At this point you could add flavour if you wanted.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl, then mix altogether until all the flour is gone.
- Grease the tins with margarine and then divide equally between two tins, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Take them out and put on a cooling tray for 10 minutes.
- Cut out both sides, then spread filling and put them together like a sandwich.
This sounds so simple and so yummy... I wish I had some to eat right now!
Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-british-victorian-sandwich-sponge-cake-75917#ixzz1PvWGicNbions